by Douglas Carl Engelbart
- Engage Your Innovators
- Engage target customers and other key stakeholders in your innovation team and network.
- Map your improvement activities into ABC – (A) business as usual, (B) innovating how A work gets done, (C) innovating how B work gets done – to reveal hidden opportunities for engagement.
- Connect B and C activities in networked improvement communities for additional leverage.
- Leverage Your Collective IQ
- Establish how your team/network will leverage its collective ingenuity and follow-through, beginning with shared values, vision, process, and enabling tools that are open and evolvable – this establishes the foundation for your dynamic knowledge ecosystem, your group brain.
- Drill down into "Collective IQ" as a capability to reveal additional points of leverage.
- Focus on Capability
- Revisit your focus/horizon in terms of capability, e.g. "are we in the telegraph business or communications business?" – it's about improving capability for your customer, and your teams/networks.
- For each desired capability, drill down to reveal hidden opportunities in human and tool innovation.
- Accelerate Co-Evolution
- Be pro-active about co-evolving the human and tool sides of the equation, fostering a symbiotic relationship between the two with a build-and-try pioneering attitude.
- Join with other networked improvement communities as partners in exploration and pilot trials.
- Walk Your Talk to Bootstrap Results
- For those whose products/services are intended to leverage customers' Collective IQ, walking your talk can yield a bonus multiplier effect like compounded interest. When you are your own best customer, every improvement you make to your work product will automatically increase your own Collective IQ – the essence of bootstrapping.
- The more your products/services contribute to increasing Collective IQ, the greater your potential to increase Collective IQ exponentially.
- In fact, placing special focus on innovating how people work collectively on important challenges is your point of greatest leverage.